Skip to main content

Ok, taxes are not the most exciting topic in the world, but we know many of you request rent certificates every year so we wanted to make sure to get this information out to you. Here you will find instructions and links, plus some fun tax tips to make it a little easier to check this off your list!!

The easiest way to request a rent certificate is to go to the Current Residents section of our website and follow the link to request a rent certificate.  You can enter all of your information right on the website and then a request will be sent to our office to fill out the certificate for you.  We can fax or email the rent certificates back to you within 2 business days of receiving the request.

We will also leave copies of blank rent certificates in each office as well as at our main office for your convenience or you can download and print a form here.  Please fill out the top section of the form with your information (name, address of apartment, and dates you resided at the apartment in 2014).

Please read all of the below qualifications before submitting a request for a rent certificate.  If you do not meet all of the criteria then you do not qualify for a rent certificate:

  • You must have been a legal resident of Wisconsin for all of 2014, from January 1 through December 31.
  • You must have been 18 years of age or older on December 31, 2014.
  • You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2014 federal income tax return. (Note: This limitation does not apply if you were 62 years of age or over on December 31, 2014.)
  • Your household income must have been less than $24,680 for 2014. See the definition of “household income.”
  • You must have been the owner or renter of your Wisconsin homestead during 2014. See the definition of “homestead.”
  • You must not have lived for the entire year 2014 in housing that is exempt from property taxes. (Note: Property owned by a municipal housing authority is not considered tax-exempt for homestead credit purposes if that authority makes payments in place of property taxes to the city or town in which it is located. If you live in public housing, you should check with your rental manager.)
  • You must not, at the time of filing a claim, be living in a nursing home and receiving Title XIX medical assistance.
  • You must not be claiming Wisconsin farmland preservation credit for 2014.
  • You must not be claiming the veterans and surviving spouses property tax credit on the 2014 real estate taxes.
  • Only one claim may be filed per household (married couple residing together). See the definition of “household.”
  • No claim may be filed on behalf of a person after his or her death.
  • You must not have received Wisconsin Works (W2) payments of any amount or county relief payments of $400 or more for each month of 2014. (Note: If you received any amount of a Wisconsin Works (W2) payment in 2014 or county relief payments of $400 or more for any month in 2014, your property taxes and rent have to be reduced by one-twelfth for each month you received any of these benefits.)
  • Source

If you have any other questions regarding the rent certificate process please feel free to contact your property manager or our main office.

So with all of that said, to make this entry a little more fun, below you will find 10 Strange but Legitimate Federal Tax Deductions.


Good luck with your 2014 taxes!